Affordable Housing Program
Helping members support local housing, increase goodwill and generate new business
The 2015 Affordable Housing Program (AHP) funding round closed August 11, 2015. Awards will be announced December 17, 2015.
What is AHP?
Affordable Housing Program (AHP) grants help FHLBank members partner with community developers and public agencies to develop affordable housing in local communities. Each year, FHLBank Pittsburgh sets aside approximately 10 percent of its net income to fund AHP.
AHP benefits to FHLBank members:
- Helps establish and expand community relationships
- Can capitalize on spin-off investment and related business opportunities
- Qualifies for CRA credit
- Generates community goodwill
- Provides public recognition for community investments
Grants are awarded to the highest scoring projects -- up to $500,000 per project -- in one funding round each year until funds are exhausted. Housing developers team up with FHLBank member financial institutions to submit applications during the funding round.
What qualifies for AHP funding?
AHP grants and loans can be used
- Single- and multi-family housing
- New construction and rehabilitation
- Rental and owner-occupied homes
- Scattered-site housing development projects
- Transitional and single-room-occupancy housing
AHP grants and loans can be used to support the development of housing targeted to underserved populations –including but not limited to very low-income households, individuals with special needs, the homeless and veterans. Typically these targeted projects are “service enriched” and the sponsors are able to offer a menu of support services such as counseling, vocational and educational services, medical support, and other forms of assistance funded through other complementary sources
How do you apply?
Applications for AHP funding are accepted when the funding round is open. Once the funding round closes the Bank reviews the applications received for scoring and feasibility, and based on the results of the scoring and feasibility reviews its Board of Directors approves award recipients. Once notified of funding approval, awardees must draw down funds within 12 months of the approval date.
Provided below are step-by-step instructions for completing the 2015 AHP application. Click on each step for an expanded explanation and more detailed guidance.
Step 1: Attend an AHP webinar, or schedule a technical assistance appointment with an FHLBank representative
While this step is optional, it is strongly recommended. AHP webinars and technical assistance appointments are designed to provide valuable information to increase your chances of approval. Please see below for 2015 webinar and technical assistance dates.
- Monday, March 2: Technical Assistance Opens – Click here to make an appointment with FHLBank staff
- Wednesday, March 18: Member Webinar – AHP basics for FHLBank member institutions. Click here to access a recording of the Member Webinar.
- Wednesday, May 20: AHP 101 Webinar – General AHP application information. Click here to access a recording of the AHP 101 Webinar.
- Tuesday, June 2: AHP 101 Webinar - General AHP application information. Click here to access a recording of the AHP 101 Webinar.
- Tuesday, July 21: AHP Tips Webinar – Tips for initiated applications*
- Wednesday, July 29: AHP Tips Webinar – Tips for initiated applications*
*Registration information will automatically be sent to members and sponsors who have initiated a 2015 application.
Step 2: Find Your AHP Partner
Each AHP application must be completed by a sponsor (i.e., housing developer or public agency) and submitted by an FHLBank Pittsburgh (Bank) member institution.
Bank members that are interested in participating in AHP and are looking to connect with project sponsors, and sponsors in need of a Bank member to support their AHP application, can now request an organizational match using the Technical Assistance Request Form. Once a match is requested, you will be contacted by the Bank to learn more about your organization’s needs and help identify a possible AHP application partnership.
To see a complete list of FHLBank Pittsburgh member financial institutions, click here.
Step 3: Register as an AHP Online System User
All AHP applications must be submitted to the Bank electronically via the AHP Online system, accessed through Bank4Banks.com. Users can access Bank4Banks® using the blue Bank4Banks button located on the Banks website homepage.
Members that do not currently have access to Bank4Banks or the AHP Online system can acquire it through their institution's Customer Security Administrator (CSA), who manages all Bank4Banks access and roles for their institution.
Project sponsors who already registered in the AHP Online system in previous funding rounds (2010 thru 2014) can still use their existing login and password information. Project sponsors new to the system must register as a new user.
If you have lost your password, please proceed to the Bank4Banks® login page and follow the steps to reset your password. If you are not sure whether or not you are successfully registered in the AHP system, call the Bank's Community Investment Department at 800-288-3400, option 4, for assistance.
Click on the links below to launch a quick video on how to do the following in the AHP Online system:
Step 4: Initiate an AHP Application
The 2015 AHP funding round opens on Monday, June 8. On this date, sponsors may initiate their application in the AHP online system. To initiate an application, you must be a registered user and have the following information available:
- Contact information for lead sponsor, those with input roles and member financial institution
- Name of project
- Project's five-digit ZIP code
- Type of project (rental, lease-purchase, homeownership)
- Type of construction (new construction, rehabilitation)
We recommend beginning this process early. The AHP application is lengthy and requires information from multiple sources. Additionally, already initiated applications will have access to the “Tips Webinar” in July, while uninitiated applications will not.
Click here to launch a quick video on how to:
Step 5: Complete Your AHP Application
AHP applications receive scoring points based on a variety of criteria, as defined in the AHP Implementation Plan. The highest scoring applications qualify to receive AHP funding. As all application submissions are considered final, it is important to submit a complete application.
To ensure that your application is complete before submission, refer to the 2015 AHP Attachments Checklist. The checklist includes links to required forms and details about required documentation for each point category.
Sponsors will be responsible for completing the majority of the application fields in the AHP Online system, and members will be required to complete two screens (detailed in step 6). During application completion, both sponsors and members should refer to the Bank’s Implementation Plan for information on scoring and feasibility criteria.
For details on the components of the 2015 AHP application, including a downloadable "paper" copy, please use the 2015 Guide to Completing the AHP Application. Additionally, a Member Guide to the AHP System and a Sponsor Guide to the AHP System are available to assist in navigating the AHP Online system.
Step 6: Submit Your AHP Application
Applications must be in the “Member Approved” status by 5 p.m. Eastern Time on Tuesday, August 11, 2015 to be accepted. This is accomplished by the following steps:
- One of the lead sponsor contacts moves the application's status from “Pending” to “Sponsor Approved.”
- An email is then sent by the AHP Online system to the member contacts associated with the application informing them that the application has been moved to “Sponsor Approved” status.
- One of the member contacts completes the two member screens and moves the application to the “Member Approved” status.
- Once the application status is “Member Approved,” email verifications are sent by the AHP Online system to all contacts associated with the application, and the submission is complete. Please note that all submissions are final.
For detailed instructions on moving an application's status to “Sponsor Approved” or “Member Approved,” please consult the Member Guide to the AHP system and the Sponsor Guide to the AHP System.
Step 7: FHLBank Pittsburgh Application Review
All applications are reviewed by Bank staff, and the 2015 AHP grant awards will be announced on December 17, 2015.
Already an AHP recipient?
Approved AHP projects are required to be monitored
in accordance with AHP regulations:
more about AHP monitoring>
Connect With Us
Previous AHP Recipients